CALL FOR DISCUSSION: Give comp.unix control to the wizards

Pete Hardie pete at nyet.UUCP
Tue Oct 2 11:13:29 AEST 1990

In article <143191 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM> lm at sun.UUCP (Larry McVoy) writes:
>In article <414 at nyet.UUCP> pete at nyet.UUCP (Pete Hardie) writes:
>>#3 seems to be generating the most heat.  If the wizards want to keep the
>>same smallish group for wide-ranging discussion, why not create a mailing
>>list for that, and keep the newsgroup name?
>
>Not to pick on Pete but this has finally reached a point that I can't
>stand it anymore.

I appreciate the disclaimer.  And I will apply the same to the following.

>Why don't all you bozo's out there stop sticking your nose in things
>that aren't any of your business?  unix-wizards predates your potty
>training.  The people who we want to see posting either voted against
>or ignored this drivel.

What does the age of unix-wizards (as a newsgroup) have to do with anything
under discussion?  The net changes all the time, by vote and by admin fiat.
There used to be net.flame, but it's gone by the wayside.

The purpose of renaming was to improve the indexing value of the newsgroup
name.  Before, c.u.w was getting the newbie questions regularly, about
every topic.  Now, they at least won't try to post to 'internals' when
they have a question about rm'ing a file that starts with a '-'.

>The thing that bothers me the most is that the name was changed by
>someone who *isn't* a wizard; now more wizard-wanna-be types are
>worriedly discussing what they ought to do.  I'll tell them what they
>ought to do: shut up and butt out.

Are you saying that the comp.unix.wizards newsgroup should be given special
consideration?  If so, what are the reasons for this?

The name change being done by someone not involved with the group is irrelevant.Most newgroup messages are handled by daemons anyway, and the net.gods who
everyone trusts send newgroups out on groups that they might never read.

--
Pete Hardie             mail: ...!emory!stiatl!slammer!nyet!pete
"Well, Darkness has a hunger that's insatiable,