CALL FOR DISCUSSION: Give comp.unix control to the wizards

Kent Paul Dolan xanthian at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG
Mon Oct 1 08:35:29 AEST 1990

lm at sun.UUCP (Larry McVoy) writes:
> pete at nyet.UUCP (Pete Hardie) writes:
>>#3 seems to be generating the most heat.  If the wizards want to keep the
>>same smallish group for wide-ranging discussion, why not create a mailing
>>list for that, and keep the newsgroup name?
>
>Not to pick on Pete but this has finally reached a point that I can't
>stand it anymore.
>
>Why don't all you bozo's out there stop sticking your nose in things
>that aren't any of your business?  unix-wizards predates your potty
>training.  The people who we want to see posting either voted against
>or ignored this drivel.
>
>The thing that bothers me the most is that the name was changed by
>someone who *isn't* a wizard; now more wizard-wanna-be types are
>worriedly discussing what they ought to do.  I'll tell them what they
>ought to do: shut up and butt out.

On the other hand, all the news.* wide bitching and complaining for
years about how attractive the group had become to newbies with their
time wasting questions _was_ by those self-styled "wizards", which
proved them to be pretty damned inefficient at doing anything about
a real world problem.  Kind of reminds you of the galaxy's best
gameplayer in Cosmic Checkmate, who also just happened to be an idiot
that needed someone around to wipe the drool off his chin for him.

This crowd has been running a "shut up and butt out, we _like_ to
bitch and whine" rule of universal discourse for years.  Now that
Chip took the trouble to clean up one source of whining for them,
they promptly constructed another, wholly imaginary bogeyman of
being sued for the name of the group where they were expected to
play their little litterbox games, and the whole net is in heavy
duty kowtow mode toward their every drivelling word again.  As
another poster so succinctly Summary:ed today, FOAD.

Kent, the man from xanth.
<xanthian at Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian at well.sf.ca.us>