Watch, Spy, whatever you wanna call it

Tony Li tli at phakt.usc.edu
Thu Oct 11 17:00:12 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct2.022530.15042 at celebr.uucp> jbm at celebr.uucp (John B.
Milton) writes:

    Hmm. As far as I know, this has not been done for UNIX. This was available
    under TOPS/20, I think it was called ADVISE.

Under Tops-20, the 'spy' program let you see output.  'advise' also
let you put stuff in the input buffer.

Last spring, my operating systems lab class did a basic implementation
of this for SunOS 4.0.  The basic idea was to create a new device
which reached down into the bottom of the stream of the victim's
terminal session and installed a hook there.  Data was fed back
through the new device.  Needless to say, this is only one possible
design for this facility.

--
Tony Li - USC Computer Science Department
Internet: tli at usc.edu Uucp: usc!tli