CALL FOR VOTES: REPLACE comp.unix.internals

Steve Summit scs at adam.mit.edu
Tue Oct 30 12:13:25 AEST 1990

[I hope I'm not being impossibly gauche in following up to a CFV.]

In article <m0iRhWG-0000mPC-xx at chinet.chi.il.us> laird at chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal) writes:
>[This is a reposting, because there were complaints that the Reply-to
> header was not correctly set.]

>     Votes both for and against this proposal may be mailed to
>     samsung!slum!votes, [decwrl!]decvax!slum!votes, or
>     votes at slum.mv.com.

I don't know what "correctly set" means, but
<m0iRhWG-0000mPC-xx at chinet.chi.il.us> as received here has no
decvax!slum!votes, nor votes at slum.mv.com.

>     The Subject: line ONLY will contain the vote.  To retain the
>     current comp.unix.internals, put 'comp.unix.internals' or
>     'internals' on the Subject: line.

Maybe this is the way such votes are always run, but doesn't this
bias the results subtly in favor of comp.unix.internals?  Anyone
who doesn't read the directions carefully, and replies with a
vote in the message body while retaining the automatically-
generated Re: header, has just voted for internals.  (Actually,
the lack of a proper Reply-To: line helps here, since it forces
manual intervention.)

Finally, how is it that the CFV article has now been posted three
times and it still has these weird formatting problems?  Most of
the last lines just before the "section headings" are truncated:

>     rely on the accuracy of the information posted in this group for
>     their work.  Technical accuracy is better than a timely
>VOTING:

Eliot's second post (referred to in <Oct.24.17.59.18.1990.1584 at turbo.bio.net>)
allegedly was to fix the "particularly bizarre" formatting
problems, yet they (at least some of them; I never saw the first
post) were in that copy, too.

Am I the only one having this problem?  Is my site not canceling
or superseding articles properly?

                                            Steve Summit
                                            scs at adam.mit.edu