Bad login user id(sco-unix)

Boyd Roberts boyd at necisa.ho.necisa.oz
Fri Oct 26 10:42:50 AEST 1990

In article <1646 at mitisft.Convergent.COM> halpin at mitisft.Convergent.COM (pri=20 Chris Halpin) writes:
>...  The only way to change your luid under SCO UNIX/Securware
>is to logout and login again. exec(2)ing login will result in an attempt
>to setluid(2) that fails since the luid is already set.  The luid also
>creates problems with cron (you need to shutdown to restart cron since it
>needs to be run w/no luid set so that is may run its jobs as any user it
>chooses).

The other way to set your luid is to use su(1), in the case where you
don't yet have one.  I've been bitten by the damn thing once.  It just
gets in the way.  Starting daemon's from rc or the inetd _require_
su to start them if they're going to start calling set[ug]id(2).

This `security' is _not_ my `friend'.

Boyd Roberts			boyd at necisa.ho.necisa.oz.au

``When the going gets wierd, the weird turn pro...''