pty bugs & features

Andy Holyer and at ux.rfhsm.lon.ac.uk
Sat Sep 1 00:49:59 AEST 1990

>>>>> On 29 Aug 90 15:44:50 GMT, Leslie Mikesell <les at chinet.chi.il.us> said:

les> ....  The real problem is when you have
les> placed a long distance call to or from a modem on a unix machine and
les> pick up a ^S from line noise.  I've even seen cases where the device
les> driver would lock up so that even a kill -9 wouldn't release the
les> process and there was no way to drop the call without physical access to
les> the modem.

I've seen this problem quite frequently using terminals with XON/XOFF
handshaking - I find that few sites are willing to pay for more than
4-wire cabling IMH experience. A notable offender seems to be GNU's
bash shell. On occasions the only way to unhang a line is to reboot
(sometimes, I've even known a *power*down* to be necessary :-( )
Is there a less drastic solution?

|       &&       |                                                           |
|      &  &      |       &ndy Holyer                                         |
|      &  &      |       Snail:  Dept. of Medical Informatics & Computing,   |
|       &&       |               Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine,     |
|      &  &   &  |               Rowland Hill St.                            |
|     &    & &   |               London NW3 2PF                              |
|    &      &    |               England                                     |
|    &     & &   |       JANET:  and at uk.ac.lon.rfhsm.ux                      |
|     &   &   &  |       Voice:  (+44) 1 794 8673                            |
| "It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my mouth hurt"       |
|                                          Frank N. Furter                   |