pty bugs & features

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sun Sep 2 11:16:42 AEST 1990

>Is this meant to imply that the developers of STREAMS don't understand
>unix?

Given that the S5R4 pty driver, at least, returns 0 on the master side
when the slave side is closed, and that it's the *BSD* pseudo-tty driver
that behaves in the fashion Doug is complaining about, I don't think
that's what he meant to imply...

>A read on a STREAMS file is documented to return -1 when O_NDELAY
>is set and there is no data available

...and since that's not a case of a "normal EOF", it's not what you
should be inferring, either.

>(which has unfortunately been propagated into the tty emulation of at
>least some network implimentations).

Prior to S5R3.2 or so, there was no way for a streams device to indicate
that O_NDELAY should behave in the old tty driver fashion.  We (Sun) added a
mechanism (basically S5R3.2-compatible) to the SunOS 4.0 streams code
which was S5R3.1-based, because we knew this was a compatibility
problem; apparently, the implementors of said tty emulations weren't as
aware of this as we were.  One hopes the S5R3.2-based versions of those
tty emulations are polite enough to request old-style behavior from the
stream head....