Getting to root when the password has been lost

Kendrick Gibson aeba-im-o-e2 at berlin-emh1.army.mil
Fri Sep 7 18:23:39 AEST 1990

Maybe you can boot from a backup tape.
Either the original or a recent backup tape that you know
the password of.

Just a suggestion-  we have a sector on our hard drive that
has root without a password.  We could boot from it if necessary.
Of course we have to trust anyone with physical access to our
computer not to reboot it and set themself up as superuser.
If/when you do get in, you might consider copying root to an
unmounted slice.

Ken Gibson
aeba-im-o-e2 at berlin-emh1.army.mil
I'd rather be telecommuting.
DISCLAIMER:  The opinions stated herein may coincidentaly corelate with
the opinions of some organization somewhere.