Getting to root when the password has been lost

Amos Shapira amoss at huji.ac.il
Fri Sep 7 18:44:51 AEST 1990

SCEF0003%WSUVM1.BITNET at cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (James N. Petersen) writes:

>Recently, we had a graduate student leave, after having changed the
>password for root on our UNIX V/3.2.2 system (AT&T UNIX/386).  Is there
>any way we can get in and reset the password to a known value?

Well, I have never operated a UNIX on a PC, but in general, there should
be a way to boot the system to single user, this should give you a root
shell without having to know the password (at least on the CCI and the VAX
I operated here).
But maybe because anyone could access the machine physically, this option is
not avialable in this case.

Hope this helps,
Amos Shapira
amoss at batata.huji.ac.il