Getting to root when the password has been lost

bruce.d.szablak bdsz at cbnewsl.att.com
Fri Sep 7 23:03:30 AEST 1990

If memory serves, you should be able to boot off of the boot floppy
provided in the base distribution, mount the root file system and
edit the password file. I did something like this when I clobbered
/unix and had to rebuild it (you should always keep a backup copy;
say: /ounix). You could also accomplish the same thing
from MSDOS using Norton utilities, but that might be a little more
adventuresome (but more educational).

By the way, this is a good reason to ALWAYS lock your PC when the console
is not in use.