Source for Unix???

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Mon Feb 11 12:19:39 AEST 1991

>What would it take to get a copy of the source as just described?

1) a PDP-11, if you actually want to *run* it.

2) perhaps some amount of time on the phone to AT&T's (or USL's?)
   licensing arm, 1) explaining what V6 is to them and 2) finding out if
   they still license it (which they may not).

3) finding somebody who has a V6 tape, if AT&T no longer has one....

I don't know how much Minix source costs, but if you basically just want
to look at the innards of an OS, that might be a better way to go.  Some
parts of the V6 innards still remain in many modern UNIX systems, so it
may not be a complete waste (Minix differs internally from most existing
UNIX systems; as I remember, it's more message-based).  Minix is, I
think, more V7-flavored in its programmer's interface, so it's quite a
bit closer to modern UNIXes in that regard than is V6.