more uses for mode 000 (was: Summary: What SUID, SGID...)

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Tue Feb 12 10:33:40 AEST 1991

In article <CLARK.91Feb11181727 at discord.cme.nist.gov>, clark at cme.nist.gov (Steve Clark) writes:
|> Ooops.  I made a mistaken generalization, it seems.  Since Gnu tar
|> does the obvious thing with the `-' filename after -X, I assumed SunOS
|> tar and, by extension, others would as well (and a rather unconscious
|> assumption it was, I might add).  I was wrong.  I hope this doesn't
|> set off two more weeks of "my tar does[n't]" messages ...

  Um, I wasn't just talking about feeding names to the -X option via stdin.  I
was talking about the -X option in general.  BSD 4.3, Ultrix 3.1 and A/UX all
seem to be lacking this option.

  For those of you who are curious about what we're talking about here and
don't have a -X option on their version of tar :-), what it does is reads a
list of regular expressions from the specified file and ignore and files which
match any of those regular expressions.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace