more uses for mode 000 (was: Summary: What SUID, SGID...)

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Sat Feb 16 13:19:31 AEST 1991

As quoted from <CLARK.91Feb11181727 at discord.cme.nist.gov> by clark at cme.nist.gov (Steve Clark):
+---------------
| In article <CLARK.91Feb11160645 at discord.cme.nist.gov>, I wrote:
| Steve> cd $HOME
| Steve> echo ./subdir/hugedir | tar cX - .

| Jonathan>   What version of Unix are you using?  What version of tar?
|
| Ooops.  I made a mistaken generalization, it seems.  Since Gnu tar
| does the obvious thing with the `-' filename after -X, I assumed SunOS

Yeah, but what versions of tar have the X option?  Remember that Gnu tar has a
LOT of options that no other tar has.  (Well, standard tar, I ignore
commercial add-ons like LoneTar.)

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN