Streams for any file descriptor.

Mike Burg mburg at unix386.Convergent.COM
Fri Feb 15 06:59:55 AEST 1991

In article <1007 at sigmawa.oz>, geoffg at sigma21.oz.au (Geoffrey R Graham) writes:
> In the thread "Ideas for changes to Unix filesystem" Michael Kandall
> (kandall at sgitokyo.nsg.sgi.com) wrote:
>
> >In SVR4's enhanced STREAMS, I believe you can
> >push STREAMS onto arbitrary file descriptors.
>
> Can anyone confirm this? (Michael was not sure).  If it is true then all
> sorts of interesting things become possible.
[Rest of text deleted]

In a nutshell - no, you can't. HOWEVER, pipes are now Streams based and
you CAN push streams modules on them.

There was (is) some group/person/university/company that produced a
file system model that was stream-liked base. I think this was the interface
between the FS and the device drivers. I don't think the model included
the interface between the FS and user programs.