Streams for any file descriptor.

Geoffrey R Graham geoffg at sigma21.oz.au
Wed Feb 13 17:08:59 AEST 1991

In the thread "Ideas for changes to Unix filesystem" Michael Kandall
(kandall at sgitokyo.nsg.sgi.com) wrote:

>In SVR4's enhanced STREAMS, I believe you can
>push STREAMS onto arbitrary file descriptors.

Can anyone confirm this? (Michael was not sure).  If it is true then all
sorts of interesting things become possible.  For example an application
could push a compression module to automatically compress it's disk
files and other applications could access the data by pushing the same
module.  Other possibilities include an encryption module, EBCDIC
module, etc.

Geoff
--
Geoff Graham