Compressed executables

Victor Gavin vic at grep.co.uk
Fri Jan 25 23:22:44 AEST 1991

In article <4001 at skye.ed.ac.uk> richard at aiai.UUCP (Richard Tobin) writes:
>It seems pretty clear that it's trading cpu time for disk space and
>disk accesses.  On a reasonably fast workstation with small slow
>disks, it seems likely to be a winning tradeoff.

I would agree with you if Acorn actually had a range of machines with this as a
low entry machine. When you start comparing against SPARCs (for instance) you
get the distinct impression that Acorn aren't totally commited yet. I think the
reason they've made the R140/R260 the way they have is because of their
background in building small, personal machines.

As an aside, who would like to see an ARM based X-terminal. I suggested this to
Acorn a long time ago (and again quite recently) that they do this, but they
never seemed interested. I don't know enough about X-windows, or I'd do it
myself :-)

The way X terminal manufacturers have sprung up, their is definitely a market
(and that means $$$$) and it would also give Acorn a market presence, and help
raise the Acorn name in commercial unix environments.

			vic