Compressed executables

Martin Weitzel martin at mwtech.UUCP
Thu Jan 31 22:59:11 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan30.123119.15448 at chvax.uucp> rheiger at chvax.UUCP (Eiger Richard) writes:
:In article <5453 at bwdls58.UUCP> hwt at bwdlh490.BNR.CA (Henry Troup) writes:
:>Of course, if you can implement compression in special hardware between the
:>disk and the CPU, you can do this with no impact on CPU performance.
:>
:I thought of the exact same thing. While we're at it, why not put
:hardware compressing onto the drives? This could be implemented using
:schemes that are used successfully in image processing systems. One of
:the problems I can think of however is the need to be able to access raw
:data directly on the disk. Comments? Experiences?

Some other problem: You can never be sure how much free space you
have on disk. Worse, even if a file remains the same size (or slightly
shrinks) it may occupy more space than before and the disk space is
no more sufficient. (Of course, for disks which contain more or less
"read-only"-stuff this may be no big problem).
--
Martin Weitzel, email: martin at mwtech.UUCP, voice: 49-(0)6151-6 56 83