How do I find programs complete run-string ?

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Tue Mar 5 23:51:14 AEST 1991

In article <199 at ezelmo.UUCP> kenc at ezelmo.UUCP (Ken Cornetet) writes:
>Under system V, how does one find the complete runstring of another
>process ?  By snooping around in the proc and user tables, I can find
>the process argv[0], but I don't see any way to get the rest of the
>args.  Also, if the proc table says a process is swapped, how do I map
>the pointer to the user table to a disk address ?  Inquiring minds want
>to know!

It depends somewhat on the exact version of System V that you are
running since the memory management scam has a lot to do with how
you track down your processes pieces parts.

I posted a beta-test version of a kernel snooper a few weeks back
in alt.sources.  You might want to try dredging it up and using it
as the basis for your own kernel snooper if you don't already have
a "crash" utility.  Otherwise, drag out the system-supplied crash
and dig around the various kernel structures with a copy of "Bach"
at hand.
--
John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"I've never written a device driver, but I have written a device driver manual"
                -- Robert Hartman, IDE Corp.