rock-and-roll [Re: Retaining file permissions] [long]

Chris Torek torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov
Thu Mar 7 12:26:36 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar6.234727.23298 at athena.mit.edu> jik at athena.mit.edu
(Jonathan I. Kamens) defends himself a bit.  I would like to add that I
probably would not have posted that particular article for Mr. Master
either (and how did you get a first name like `The' anyway? :-) ).

As it happens, this particular barn door was closed after a horse had
escaped.  There is no sense in arguing that `write not clearing set-id
could not possibly be a security problem', because it was.  One could
perhaps argue that `it is not now a security problem', but I would not
want to bet my systems on it.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab EE div (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek at ee.lbl.gov