rock-and-roll [Re: Retaining file permissions] [long]

Bruce Varney asg at sage.cc.purdue.edu
Thu Mar 7 15:04:35 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar6.234727.23298 at athena.mit.edu> jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
}In article <7391 at mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, asg at sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) writes:
}|> The following is a letter I mailed that our friend at MIT would not
}|> post for me (Our news poster was screwed up). This is on the same subject:
}|>
}|> ...
}|>
}|> jik at athena never did give any comments on this article, just a reply
}|> with some name-calling stating that he would not post it
}
}What I said in my E-mail was:
}
}|You probably can't post because the References line is too long and
}|you're using an old version of rn that can't cope with long References
}|lines.  Trim the References, and you should be able to post.
}|
}|In any case, if you can't post that way, then find someone else to
}|post your message for you.  I'm not in the habit of doing favors for
}|people I don't even know who have been obnoxious to me without
}|provocation.
}
}I see no reason to respond any further to Mr. Varney's comments, because I see
}no reason to drag personal squabbles onto the net, and because I don't see any
}points raised in his posting that I have not already covered in my postings.
}
}--
}Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:

You NEVER covered my points made in that article, and this is not a personal
squabble. I automatically save outgoing mail and had not cleaned those
files, so when I saw the discussion resumed, I dug it out as an informative
post (as it was). Simply put Jon, you need to learn to distinguish between
guarding against real security hazards, and wasting time preventing
impossible ones. I hope you do not have the same ideas in the real world,
or you would never do anything.

   Please do not resort to accusing people of using the net for personal
squabbles to draw attention from the fact that you are losing an
argument.

---------
sar.casm \'sa:r-.kaz-*m\ \sa:r-'kas-tik\ \-ti-k(*-)le-\ n [F sarcasme, fr.
   LL sarcasmos, fr. Gk sarkasmos, fr. sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips
   in rage, sneer, fr. sark-, sarx flesh; akin to Av thwar*s to cut] 1: a
   cutting, hostile, or contemptuous remark : GIBE 2: the use of caustic or
   ironic language - sar.cas.tic aj

Courtesy of Bruce Varney           ###               #
aka -> The Grand Master                               #
asg at sage.cc.purdue.edu             ###    #####       #
PUCC                               ###                #