(was slashes, now NFS devices)

Robert Thurlow thurlow at convex.com
Sat Mar 9 02:47:56 AEST 1991

In <1991Mar3.225844.8814 at panix.uucp> zink at panix.uucp (David Zink) writes:

>>>And to Unix users, NFS is not stateless. What is rpc.lockd used for?
>>Whew!  Where did this come from?  NFS is stateless.  The locking gunk is
>This came from NFS, bozo.

The locking protocol is separate from the NFS protocol.  The only thing
they share is that they both use 'filehandles'.  One of the differences
I see is that the locking protocol doesn't have bugs in it that I know
of.  NFS does, but some vendors have managed to build pretty good NFS
servers, while the world is still apparently waiting on a decent lock
manager.  Perhaps you could describe the 'deeper' relationship between
NFS and the lock manager to me?  But be careful: I've worked with this
code, so I won't have your naive perspective.

>Next time post to comp.sun.advocacy

As opposed to comp.unix.misinformed, where I read this?

>And if NFS is 'good' because its 'successful' I suppose you'll insist that
>MS-DOS is better than Sun-OS?

It's a better tool for some things.  Get a brain and come down from
your ivory tower, or produce code that does all of what NFS does better.

Rob T
Rob Thurlow, thurlow at convex.com
An employee and not a spokesman for Convex Computer Corp., Dallas, TX