what is in sysV v4?

Eduardo Krell ekrell at ulysses.att.com
Thu Mar 14 00:54:02 AEST 1991

In article <27919 at netcom.COM> aed at netcom.COM (Andrew Davidson) writes:

>I currently work on a SUN
>workstation using sunos 4.1. it supports "dynamic linking" but I would
>argue that this is not true dynamic linking as it only accures when my
>program loads. I would link to be able to link and load on the fly

You can do that already. Look at the mmap() man page. The run-time loader
(ld.so) runs in user space, so anything it does, you can do too (mmap
whatever you want to load, relocate symbols, etc.)

Sun provides in 4.1.1 a simple dynamic linker interface library with
dlopen(), dlsym(), etc.  These are also available in SVR4.

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell at ulysses.att.com