Unix security additions

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Tue Mar 12 20:24:15 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar11.174711.4027 at decuac.dec.com> mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
>rcpieter at info.win.tue.nl writes:
>>Which brings up the question of the largest still existing security
>>leak:  Why does UNIX still trust the network (ethernet in most cases)
>>it is attached to?
>	Because most people in the Real World need to get work done,
>and a network that is fast (IE: unencumbered with tons of crypto-gunk)
>and cheap is important in getting that work done.

Not all unices do.  It's possible to configure your machine to not trust
anyone; you might not be able to get certain things done easily that way,
though.

I heard, somewhere (InfoWorld?) that Apple was doing something with a secure
unix with secure networking.  However, since I don't pay any attention to
what apple's doing (unless it involves new lawsuits, in which case I
generally curse at them 8-(), I could very easily be very confused.

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."