Unix security additions

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Wed Mar 13 04:51:54 AEST 1991

sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
>> mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:

>>	Because most people in the Real World need to get work done,
>
>Not all unices do.  It's possible to configure your machine to not trust
>anyone;[...]
>I heard, somewhere (InfoWorld?) that Apple was doing something with a secure
>unix with secure networking. [...]

	When you get really into serious government security glop, you
basically have to give up networking completely. In fact, network-based
window systems (name one!) have to be modified, and notions of mandatory
access control have to be addressed in the window manager. It's called
the Compartmented Mode Workstation (CMW) and presently DEC, Sun, IBM,
Apple and maybe others are working on products that will be CMW.

	You neglected the bit in my posting where I wrote: "Real World"
Spooks are not in the Real World by any stretch of the imagination.

mjr.