hiding files under a mount point.

Andy Duplain duplain at rtf.bt.co.uk
Tue Mar 19 20:06:15 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar18.045734.5114 at brolga.cc.uq.oz.au> ggm at brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (George Michaelson) writes:

>If you have some files in a directory eg /usr (on the root partition)
>and you mount the filesystem /usr over them, they become "invisible".
>
>How "invisible" are they? Can this be exploited meaningfully by sysops
>or others to provide secure online storage of files you don't want
>mortals to know about? (/usr is a bad example. unmounting makes the
>system pretty useless. some other places might be more bearable.)

 No, they can't be used until you umount the filesystem.  We recently had a
 problem with our root disk space; we couldn't find out what was using it all
 up.  Then we realised that we had been very considerate and taken a copy
 of an old kernel, after a rebuild.  Unfortunetly we backed-up the kernel to
 /tmp, which wasn't mounted at the time.  Took ages to find the problem...
 take heed.

--
British Telecommunications PLC, Customer Systems, Brighton, United (?) Kingdom.