hiding files under a mount point.

Tomas Ruden tomas at u30003.rsv.svskt.se
Fri Mar 22 18:05:39 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar19.100615.13770 at rtf.bt.co.uk>
duplain at rtf.bt.co.uk (Andy Duplain) writes:

> No, they can't be used until you umount the filesystem.  We recently had a
> problem with our root disk space; we couldn't find out what was using it all
> up.  Then we realised that we had been very considerate and taken a copy
> of an old kernel, after a rebuild.  Unfortunetly we backed-up the kernel to
> /tmp, which wasn't mounted at the time.  Took ages to find the problem...
> take heed.

I have seen similar thing done on purpose. It was on a Unisys 5000/85 with
Unix V.3 (don't remember the release). On the root filesystem there was
a tiny little /usr-tree. It was just enogh files to make the system useable
without any mounts. When the system was brought to multiuser, the real /usr
filesystem was mounted and the small one was hidden by the real one.
I found that quite useful.
Tomas Ruden,  ...!sunic!u30003!tomas or tomas at u30003.rsv.svskt.se
Don't blame the Swedish Tax      !  I wish I had an English
Administration for my opinions   !  spellingchecker