SVR4 HDB uucp G protocol and file recovery

Greg Onufer greg at cheers.Bungi.COM
Mon May 27 16:39:59 AEST 1991

rhealey at digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:

>In article <1991May23.185355.13890 at jvd.msk.su> nms at jvd.msk.su writes:
>>Does anybody has description of G protocol (as implemented in SVR4)?
>>I want some info on file recovery in this uucp also.

>	File recovery with G is the same a g, they are the same protocol
>	it's just that g's parameters are hardcoded into the binary and
>	G can read them from a UUCP config file. Basically, UUCP deletes
>	the file after it's been successfully transfered and keeps it
>	till it has been sucessfully transfered.

S5R4 UUCP also has the ability to restart failed transfers.  This feature,
called Checkpointing (?), saves the data that was received properly and
the next time a connection is made, notifies the other end that x-bytes
were already received, start from there.  This may be very helpful when
transferring multi-megabyte files!  I don't have any details on the
implementation, but if anybody does, let me know!

Cheers!greg