uugetty respawning

Bruce Momjian root at candle.uucp
Sat May 25 01:55:52 AEST 1991

I am using AT&T 386 Unix 3.1.  When cu and uucp use the modem, they respawn
uugetty.  When Pcomm 1.2 uses the modem, it does not respawn uugetty, and
the next time someone tries to log in, they get a connect but no login prompt.

To fix this, I currently run pcomm from a script, which also calls
another script with set-uid to root and which executes:

UUPID=`/bin/ps -ef |\
	/bin/grep " *root.*uugetty[^x]*$" | \
	/bin/sed 's/^.*root *\([0-9]*\).*$/\1/'`
if [ "$UUPID" -gt "1" ]
	then	/bin/kill $UUPID
fi

... which kills the uugetty ( I only have one uugetty running) and respawns.
Obviously, this is a kludge.

Does anyone know how cu and uucp respawn the uugetty properly, so I may add
this to the pcomm source.  (BTW, is there a more recent pcomm than 1.2).