Fundamental defect of the concept of shared libraries

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp
Wed May 22 01:05:10 AEST 1991

In article <674816585.AA7847 at flaccid>
	tonys at pyra.co.uk (Tony Shaughnessy) writes:

>>The primary cache of R4000 is virtually indexed and physically tagged.
>>That is, it can't map different virtual addresses to a physical address.

>I quote from the book "MIPS Risc Architecture" by Gerry Kane, Prentice Hall,
>1989, page 4-1.

Read the book. It's for R2000/R3000. Even on the page 4-1, the word "R2000"
appears six times.

But, you are better than others who post based only on their imagination and
still require me, who post based on facts such as measurement figures and
source code of 4.3BSD, to post based on facts.

>	"The mapping of these extended, process-unique virtual addresses to
>	physical addresses need not be one-to-one; virtual addresses of two
>	or more different processes may map to the same physical address."

Compared to R4000, R2000/R3000 are slower CPUs.

						Masataka Ohta