Fundamental defect of the concept of shared libraries

Tony Shaughnessy tonys at pyra.co.uk
Tue May 21 19:03:06 AEST 1991

In article <216 at titccy.cc.titech.ac.jp> mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) writes:

>>How about MIPS R3000/R4000?  Maybe that's not fast enough.
>
>The primary cache of R4000 is virtually indexed and physically tagged.
>That is, it can't map different virtual addresses to a physical address.
>
>							Masataka Ohta

I quote from the book "MIPS Risc Architecture" by Gerry Kane, Prentice Hall,
1989, page 4-1.

	"The mapping of these extended, process-unique virtual addresses to
	physical addresses need not be one-to-one; virtual addresses of two
	or more different processes may map to the same physical address."

Tony Shaughnessy
tonys at pyra.co.uk