Shared libraries

Melinda Shore shore at theory.tn.cornell.edu
Wed May 8 00:52:28 AEST 1991

In article <161 at titccy.cc.titech.ac.jp> mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) writes:
>The reality is a bit different. With DNS, it is common that a signle hostname
>have multiple IP addresses.

The two things are entirely independent.  It is not true that there
is any relationship between name service and the number of IP addresses
on a single host, and it is absolutely not true that it is common for
a host to have multiple IP addresses.  Unless, of course, your definition
of "common" is radically different.

>Programs were modified so that they try all
>possible addresses, because it was common that some of IP addresses are
>often unreachable because of a routing problem.

Again, this is independent of the mechanism used for hostname lookup.
In the musty, dusty days before name service I had to fix the routing
code in a hyperchannel driver for just this reason.
--
                    Software longa, hardware brevis
Melinda Shore - Cornell Information Technologies - shore at theory.tn.cornell.edu