Shared libraries

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp
Wed May 8 12:54:02 AEST 1991

In article <1991May7.145228.423 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>
	shore at theory.tn.cornell.edu (Melinda Shore) writes:

>>The reality is a bit different. With DNS, it is common that a signle hostname
>>have multiple IP addresses.

>The two things are entirely independent.  It is not true that there
>is any relationship between name service and the number of IP addresses
>on a single host,

But hosts with muptiple IP addresses become common with the introduction
of DNS.

>and it is absolutely not true that it is common for
>a host to have multiple IP addresses.  Unless, of course, your definition
>of "common" is radically different.

There are many examples of hosts with multiple IP addresses scattered
through various RFC.

See, for example, RFC1034, Page 14. There, VENERA.ISI.EDU. have two IP
addresses: 128.9.0.32 and 10.1.0.52. A file for named, root.cache, also
contains examples of hosts with multiple IP addresses.

If you think examples in RFC1034 (the RFC which defines DNS) and other RFCs
is not "common", YOU must explain what you think "common".

>>Programs were modified so that they try all
>>possible addresses, because it was common that some of IP addresses are
>>often unreachable because of a routing problem.

>In the musty, dusty days before name service I had to fix the routing
>code in a hyperchannel driver for just this reason.

"fix the routing code"? Routing code has nothing to do with the problem.

						Masataka Ohta