Shared libraries

Melinda Shore shore at theory.tn.cornell.edu
Thu May 9 03:38:13 AEST 1991

In article <163 at titccy.cc.titech.ac.jp> mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) writes:
>But hosts with muptiple IP addresses become common with the introduction
>of DNS.

Again, it has *absolutely* *nothing* to do with name service.  All that
dns provides is a mechanism for looking up hostname/ip address mappings.
Because of the growth of the internet there has been an increase in the
number of gateways, but I wouldn't say that the ratio of gateways to
leaf nodes has changed much.  At most you've got an entirely spurious
correlation.

>>In the musty, dusty days before name service I had to fix the routing
>>code in a hyperchannel driver for just this reason.

>"fix the routing code"? Routing code has nothing to do with the problem.

No, but the routing code in this particular driver used ip addresses
as hash keys.  Duh.
--
                    Software longa, hardware brevis
Melinda Shore - Cornell Information Technologies - shore at theory.tn.cornell.edu