user account management

Ed McGuire emcguire at ccad.uiowa.edu
Thu Sep 13 06:50:16 AEST 1990

User account management is one of my immediate responsibilities.  I
help manage a heterogeneous network of UNIX (BSD and SYSV), Domain/OS,
and VMS systems.

I think we could all benefit by exchanging our approaches to concerns
such as:

  o  Automation of account management
  o  Consistent login names in all password files
  o  Unique uid and gid assignment
  o  Resource accounting on a per user or per group basis
  o  Removal of obsolete login names
  o  Enforcing password security
  o  Consistent user environment
  o  Electronic mail routing

Send me mail (even a short note) explaining your methods, and I'll
collate, edit and post what I get.  The more responses I receive, the
better informed we all will be about effective account management.
--
peace.  -- Ed
"Vote.  Because it's the Right Thing."