Survey

Russell J Fulton;ccc032u russell at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz
Tue Sep 11 14:00:14 AEST 1990

What is a large Unix system? --- Probably anything with over 100 regular users.

This eliminates individual workstations but should include clusters of
workstations run from a server as well as systems serving lots of ascii
terminals.

We operate a SGI 4D/240S with is accessed by terminals on the network, either
PCs or terminals connected to terminal servers. We usually have about 50
users on the system with about 1000 registered users.  We also have a SG PI
(Personal Iris, diskless) and a SUN 4/330) both of which mount most of the
240S's disk via NFS.

I think this group could provide a useful forum for the discussion of issues
relating to maintaing and using large systems. This is not an area in which
UNIX excells.
For instance we are currently having problems with the 240S crashing and not
leaving any evidence as to the reason. It is very frustrating for us and our
local support agents because we can't even decide if the problem is hardware
or software. A workstaion crashing every now and again is a nuisance for us
its disasterous.