Survey

Theodore Wojcik wojcik at crl.dec.com
Tue Sep 11 01:39:46 AEST 1990

In article <richard.652960541 at fafnir.la.locus.com>, richard at locus.com
(Richard M. Mathews) writes:
|> huntting at boulder.Colorado.EDU (Brad Huntting) writes:

|> It is my understanding that this group is for discussions of Unix on large
|> machines (how large is large?).  I'd be interested in starting things off
|> by finding out what large machines and what versions of Unix you have out
|> there.  For what do you use these systems?

|> What other large systems are out there?  What sorts of problems do you
|> have that you feel are unique to users of large systems?

My feeling is that the problems associated with large clusters of
workstations are as difficult and perhaps more complex than those associated
with large single machines.  The subjects discussed here are likely to be
interesting to both .  I'd like to suggest that the key is "large installation"
and keep away from what exactly constitutes one.  When you have one, you know
it.  As the original proposal stated:

	comp.unix.large		Unix on mainframes and in large networks
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there isn't any single attribute
that makes an installation "large".  By their very nature, mainframes
usually have big user communities and a big farm of disks.  By the same token,
large clusters of workstations generally have big user communities and a disk
server with a big farm of disks.  It's my feeling that the two styles of
computing have more in things in commmon than not.  FWIW.

--
Ted Wojcik, (wojcik at crl.dec.com), Systems Manager
Digital Equipment Corporation