Survey

Richard M. Mathews richard at locus.com
Mon Sep 10 19:55:41 AEST 1990

huntting at boulder.Colorado.EDU (Brad Huntting) writes:

>>Halt! Who goes there?
>>Is anyone out here?

>I do...  What I want to know is what is this newsgroup for?  And who created
>it?

It is my understanding that this group is for discussions of Unix on large
machines (how large is large?).  I'd be interested in starting things off
by finding out what large machines and what versions of Unix you have out
there.  For what do you use these systems?

We have AIX/370 running on 370s including a 3090.  We have been working
with IBM to develop AIX on these machines.  Since we use VM to run lots
of small virtual machines in different configurations, perhaps we don't
count as users of "large Unix" (except when helping a customer who IS
using a large system).  As a supplier of such systems, we are, however,
very interested in the opinions and needs of such users.

What other large systems are out there?  What sorts of problems do you
have that you feel are unique to users of large systems?

Richard M. Mathews
Locus Computing Corporation
richard at locus.com
lcc!richard at seas.ucla.edu