Topic List (was Survey)

David E. Bernholdt bernhold at qtp.ufl.edu
Wed Sep 12 03:44:40 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep11.154433.25652 at wolves.uucp> ggw at wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:

>Does anyone have a decent ANSI magtape utility for Unix?

We use something called 'ansitape', written by David Hayes, which was
posted as Volume 8 issues 99-100 of mod.sources.  I believe it can be
found in the cannonical comp.sources.unix archives in volume 8.

We have found this tool to work very well for reading and writing
ANSI-format tapes.

>More often in our environment it is a question of where is
>there disk space for the project.

This is our problem too.  We have a set of scripts that run in
conjunction with the nightly accounting that compile data on each
user's consumption on each disk in the system -- how many megabytes,
what percent of the disk that is, and how full the disk is overall.

Users see this any time they login from a machine outside of our
network, dial in, or unlock their 'lockscreen' (remember, these are
Suns).

We have found it an effective tool to remind people of their usage,
and we encourage users to keep each other in line (politely, of course).
David Bernholdt			bernhold at qtp.ufl.edu
Quantum Theory Project		bernhold at ufpine.bitnet
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL  32611		904/392 6365