nis/yp usage question

Steve Simmons scs at lokkur.dexter.mi.us
Mon Jun 24 13:05:46 AEST 1991

marmen at bwdla31.bnr.ca (Rob Marmen 1532773) writes:

>In article <4932 at spim.mips.COM>, beacker at mips.com (Bradley Eacker) writes:

>>      How many machines are in existance on your net?

>	Over 2000 Unix workstations. I can't be any more specific than that.

>>      How many yp masters do you have on your net?

> We have two domains. One domain, BNROTTAWA has over 90 slaves and 1 master.
> Some work was required to structure this so that the master wouldn't
> overload and self-destruct. The second domain has one master and approx
> 10 slaves.  The master gets the majority of its data directly from the
> BNROTTAWA master.

I think you've got a massive case of overkill here.  My experience was
that one 3/160 could happily server approx 50 YP clients.  Assuming a
sun4 is twice as fast (heh), your 2000 workstations should need about
20 nis servers.

Also, I second the recommendation of the Hal Stern book.  Very nice.
--
 "FACT: less than 10% of the psychiatrists in the US are actually
  practicing cannibals."  Rod Johnson