[forwarded] NEW LIST: OPERS-L Mainframe Operations

Dan_Jacobson at ATT.COM Dan_Jacobson at ATT.COM
Sat May 11 21:01:21 AEST 1991

Maybe some of your crews are interested... (addresses refer to bitnet) -DJ
From:         Gary Sponseller <SPONSELL%AKRONVM.BITNET at VM1.NoDak.EDU>
Sender:       NEW-LIST - New List Announcements <NEW-LIST at VM1.NoDak.EDU>
To:           Multiple recipients of list NEW-LIST <NEW-LIST at NDSUVM1>
Subject:      NEW LIST: OPERS-L Mainframe Operations
Date:         Fri, 10 May 91 16:22:50 CDT

OPERS-L on LISTSERV at AKRONVM            Mainframe Operations
        or LISTSERV at VM1.CC.UAKRON.EDU

   This is a discussion group about MAINFRAME Computer Operations for
   computer operators, lead operators and supervisors, etc.  Some of the
   possible topics (but not limited to):

   Operator Training (or lack of - as is too often the case in some
   installations).

   Tips on operating the various computer systems and I/O gear.  Those
   helps and hints that could be shared by veteran operators to aid
   new operators in their learning process.  Those hints that are not
   in the documentation to make an operators job a little easier!

   Software packages available to help day to day computer operations
   such as job scheduling, disk and tape management etc.

   Problems caused by working night shift, weekends and holidays.

   Education and career advancement issues.

   Overcoming boredom - many operators get locked in to the same old
   same old day after day.

   War stories about hardware and software problems.  What products to
   avoid under certain conditions.

   Health concerns - Eye strain and related VDT concerns.  Carpel
   tunnel problems.

   Pros and cons on shift rotation vs. permanent shifts.

   An 'I told you so' column - how many times does management say how to
   operations staff is going to do something and the operators try to
   give their input (which is rarely heard!).

   Humor - Funny stories about those instances where you just gotta
   laugh.  You got to have a sense of humor to be in our line of work!

   To subscribe, send an interactive message or mail to
   LISTSERV at AKRONVM as follows:

     SUBscribe OPERS-L Your Name

   Owners: Tom Evert,       O1EVERT at AKRONVM
           Gary Sponseller, SPONSELL at AKRONVM