Disk drives

Randy Jarrett WA4MEI rsj at wa4mei.UUCP
Fri Aug 19 05:55:28 AEST 1988

In article <11190012 at hpisoa1.HP.COM> vandys at hpisoa1.HP.COM (Andrew Valencia) writes:
>/ hpisoa1:comp.unix.microport / chip at ateng.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) / 11:27 am  Aug 11, 1988 /
>>... the disk has been making an arritating whining
>	The copper grounding strap which rests against the spindle of the
>rotating portion of the disk is often the culprit.  I'm not familiar with
>your exact model, but the common solution is just to bend it back so it doesn't
>rest against the spindle any more.  "But doesn't that mean it won't be
>grounding it any more?!?" you ask.  Yup.  But no one I've talked to has ever
>had any trouble, and it sure quiets the guy down.
>
>					Andy

A while back I discussed this problem with the technical rep from one of
the disk drive manufactures. He said that a lot of people bent these straps
back out of contact from the spindle and got away with it but sooner or later
it will get you.  Without this strap there is not any ground to the spindle and
platters on the drive and under the right conditions a large static charge can
build up on the platters (low humidity) and discharge to the head. Remember that
the head rides very close to the platters but does not touch during operation.
This discharge can cause damage ranging from lost data at the point of discharge
to distroying the head.

I have found that Hamilton/Avenet carries a special grease that was manufactured
by Shugart Associates (remember them?) that comes in a small syringe.  It is
very inexpensive (~$4) and one syringe is enough to take care of about 50
drives.  I have used this on many drives and it works very well and usually
lasts several (4 to 6) months.

--
Randy Jarrett  WA4MEI
UUCP  ...!gatech!wa4mei!rsj        | US SNAIL: P.O. Box 941217