Disk drives

Andrew Valencia vandys at hpisoa1.HP.COM
Tue Aug 16 02:06:04 AEST 1988

/ hpisoa1:comp.unix.microport / chip at ateng.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) / 11:27 am  Aug 11, 1988 /
>... the disk has been making an arritating whining
>sound.  It's the kind of noise that drives dogs (and programmers :-)) batty.
>It wouldn't be so bad, but it's constantly warbling about, and it sometimes
>stops and then starts again.

	The copper grounding strap which rests against the spindle of the
rotating portion of the disk is often the culprit.  I'm not familiar with
your exact model, but the common solution is just to bend it back so it doesn't
rest against the spindle any more.  "But doesn't that mean it won't be
grounding it any more?!?" you ask.  Yup.  But no one I've talked to has ever
had any trouble, and it sure quiets the guy down.

					Andy

Disclaimer: my opinions, and nothing but.