Support matters

tanner at ki4pv.UUCP tanner at ki4pv.UUCP
Thu Aug 11 21:12:56 AEST 1988

In article <7337 at cdin-1.uucp>, fred at cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) writes:
) It is beyond me how so many 'experts' can continue struggling with
) software that has price as its only benefit.

It's the same principle that sells lousy hardware.  Some folks look
at nothing but the price up front.  Ultimately, it can cost a company
heaps of time and money trying to nurse the product along and get
some work out of it, but it's hard to explain that to the executive
types.

(I remember a company which found the bottom-of-the line CP/M system
back in its day, called a "Superbrain", and bought several.  You would
not believe the money they spent trying to keep those things running,
and trying to get useful work out of them \(em while the boss proclaimed
how much money he saved.

The producer of this dubious system changed their name yet again,
so that their later product (IBM clones) wouldn't bear the same not-
so-well regarded name as the "drains".  Perhaps these clones are being
bought by the same folks who buy \(*uPort.)
--
...!bikini.cis.ufl.edu!ki4pv!tanner  ...!bpa!cdin-1!cdis-1!ki4pv!tanner
or...  {allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}!ki4pv!tanner