Support matters

Jeff Bowles bowles at lll-crg.llnl.gov
Tue Aug 9 03:23:10 AEST 1988

In article <352 at marob.MASA.COM> samperi at marob.UUCP (Dominick Samperi) writes:

>Software testing and bug fixing is undoubtedly your major technical activity
>(as it is for all large software systems), so your beta testers are
>essentially doing a large portion of your work for you, for free, and I
>think you owe them more respect than you have given them in the past.

W-e-l-l, I just called Locus to ask about the "Merge '386 Advanced
User's Manual" which supposedly contains all sorts of information about
how to set the package up in non-standard environments, like weird
printer combinations and the like.

First, that manual (to which there are zillions of forward pointers
from the "User's Manual") doesn't exist.

Second, they claim that WHAT THEY SHIPPED TO CUSTOMERS IS NOT *BETA*.
That Microport insists that it is, well, is Microport's problem.

Like, there's a major war getting ready to be fought, and I have a
bad feeling that we (the customers) will lose.

	Jeff Bowles