serial printers under microport 386

Randy Menna menna at mips.COM
Fri Aug 5 07:40:17 AEST 1988

I am having some trouble getting serial printers to work under
microport 386.  I have a compac 386 running 2.2, with 16 computone
serial ports.  These ports work great when connected to a terminal,
but I am unable to get them to talk to a serial printer (panisonic 1090i).

I turned off the getty for the port attached to the printer, and I did
a "lpadmin" to configure that port as "lp1", this seemed to work ok.
However, lpstat claims files are being printed but nothing comes out
of the printer.  Also I do not get output when I do a "cat" to that
device.

I thought that this meant that the electrical signals weren't correct,
but if I put a getty on that port, then it prints "login" on the printer,
and files can also be "cat"ed to the printer.

Any help would truly be appreciated.

Thanks

-Randy Menna
--
Randy Menna					home: 408-292-0628
UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!menna 	play: 408-991-0249