serial printers under microport 386

David F. Carlson dave at micropen
Sat Aug 6 06:01:04 AEST 1988

In article <2712 at quacky.mips.COM>, menna at mips.COM (Randy Menna) writes:
> I am having some trouble getting serial printers to work under
> microport 386.  I have a compac 386 running 2.2, with 16 computone
> serial ports.  These ports work great when connected to a terminal,
> but I am unable to get them to talk to a serial printer (panisonic 1090i).
>
> I thought that this meant that the electrical signals weren't correct,
> but if I put a getty on that port, then it prints "login" on the printer,
> and files can also be "cat"ed to the printer.

You must remember that cat(1) does nothing to set up the port for serial
communication.  Use cu(1) or ( stty 1200 ; cat file ) < /dev/ttylp.
Running the stty within the subshell makes its effects apply to the
cat(1).  Otherwise, on close, the port will be reset most likely to 300 baud.

fodder
fodder
fodder
fodder
fodder
fodder

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
micropen!dave at ee.rochester.edu

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll