Support matters

Keith Hankin keith at uport.UUCP
Wed Aug 10 15:29:09 AEST 1988

In article <11171 at lll-winken.llnl.gov> bowles at lll-crg.llnl.gov.UUCP (Jeff Bowles) writes:

>W-e-l-l, I just called Locus to ask about the "Merge '386 Advanced
>User's Manual" which supposedly contains all sorts of information about
>how to set the package up in non-standard environments, like weird
>printer combinations and the like.
>
>First, that manual (to which there are zillions of forward pointers
>from the "User's Manual") doesn't exist.

Locus never delivered an Advanced User's Manual for Merge to us (Microport).
In the mean time, they had sprinkled many references to this non-existent
manual in the documentation.  We are now working on our own version of the
manual which will eliminate all such references and, where applicable, will
add important information in place of the extra "manual".

>Second, they claim that WHAT THEY SHIPPED TO CUSTOMERS IS NOT *BETA*.
>That Microport insists that it is, well, is Microport's problem.

The product that Locus has been shipping to customers has been the same
product that Microport has been shipping.  The difference is that we at
Microport decided that there were too many problems to call it a final
release and decided to ship it as a pre-release beta product.  Locus
has been shipping the same product and calling it a complete release.

--
Keith Hankin	keith at uport
Microport Systems