Disabling 'date' prompt in SysV/At

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Sun Aug 14 01:23:02 AEST 1988

In article <401 at fallst.UUCP> tkevans at fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>Can anyone tell me how to bypass the prompt asking if the date is
>correct on bootup in uport SysV/AT (version 2.2)?

The prompt asking if the date is correct comes from the file "/etc/bsetdate",
which is a shell script called from "/etc/inittab" (line 3, I believe).

If you are fairly sure that your hardware clock keeps accurate time, you
can change that line in "/etc/inittab" to look as follows:

   ck::sysinit:date `setup -d`

which will set the system date from the hardware clock without asking any
questions.

The reason uPort is using the rather elaborate "/etc/bsetdate" script is their
contention that many clone hardware clocks are not all that accurate. In view
of uPort V/AT's problems with keeping software time, that assertion is somewhat
laughable -- I have yet to see a clone hardware clock which is as inaccurate
as V/AT's timekeeping :-).

Wolf
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   wnp%dcs at killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD