386 UNIX and FDISK

Ken Chapin ken at uport.UUCP
Sat Dec 17 02:01:20 AEST 1988

In article <450 at lgnp1.LS.COM> phile at lgnp1.LS.COM (Phil Eschallier) writes:
 >In article <618 at cimcor.mn.org>, mike at cimcor.mn.org (Michael Grenier) writes:
 >> Does anyone know if Microport 386 or other versions of AT&T UNIX
 >> for the 386 handle disk drives larger than 1024 tracks? I currently
 >> have Microport 286 version 2.4 and the fdisk command doesn't
 >> support my drive which has 1226 tracks.
 >

 >to the best of my knowledge, AT style machine do not support disk with
 >more than 1024 tracks.  i have read, however, that you can purchase a
 >special ROM BIOS, and once you do this, you should be able to type the
 >drive parameters in via fdisk and all should be well!

Our 386 3.0e product does support > 1024 cylinders and the 286 2.4 product was
supposed to but we found a bug in our fdisk that wouldn't let us.  In any case,
the 3.0e 386 does and the 2.4 286 will very shortly support > 1024 cylinders
without any special BIOS.

Ken Chapin         UUCP: ...!{sun | ucbvax | ihnp4}!amdcad!uport!ken
Microport Systems
Technical Support