386 UNIX and FDISK

Michael Grenier mike at cimcor.mn.org
Fri Dec 16 13:18:29 AEST 1988

>From article <450 at lgnp1.LS.COM>, by phile at lgnp1.LS.COM (Phil Eschallier):
> to the best of my knowledge, AT style machine do not support disk with
> more than 1024 tracks.  i have read, however, that you can purchase a
> special ROM BIOS, and once you do this, you should be able to type the
> drive parameters in via fdisk and all should be well!

No. Unix doesn't use the BIOS as it isn't reenterent (and probably
doesn't run in protected mode anyway) except perhaps to load the boot
sector. My disk controller handles well over 1024 tracks... I have
no trouble formatting the drive to 1226 tracks.

I got ahold of someone at Microport today who thought they could look
into it in the next couple weeks and fix the thing. I am very happy
to wait a few weeks more...the RLL support was worth waiting for.

    -Mike Grenier
    mike at cimcor.mn.org